Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Hey everyone, I'm back. Sorry if I was M.I.A. for a little bit, but I have been pretty busy studying, running errands, and enjoying Madrid. Today I am going to give you some fresh new music and fresh it is.


Andrew Mayer Cohen, "Mayer Hawthorne," born in Ann Arbor, Michigan (I do have a thing for local artists don't I?), is a soul singer/producer who just released his debut record, A Strange Arrangement. A Strange Arrangement gives off the same classic soul and Motown sound that you can find on an Al Green or Temptations record with a pinch of the 21st century thrown in. Mayer Hawthorne is this odd looking white kid with nerdy glasses who just comes out of nowhere with his nostalgic and soulful voice. "Just Ain't Gonna Work Out" is a smooth soul tune with the backing of some modern hip-hop style drumming. "Your Easy Lovin' Ain't Pleasin' Nothin'" is a groovy Temptations inspired Motown tune which will make you want to just get up and dance. The fast-paced drum beat of "The Ills" matched with echoing horns makes for a memorable rhythm. The record ends on the whimsical and weird, yet soft and soulful "Green Eyed Love."
The official name for this record's genre is "neo-soul" and it is both neo and soul. Mayer Hawthorne brings back the Motown soul from back in the day and gives it a very new and fresh feel to it. It brings nostalgic thoughts of "Where have I heard this before?" but also makes you say "Soul is coming back." The production value of the record is very clean sounding and is almost like a modern, cool, and stripped-down production of the original Motown sound. The first time I saw the music video for "Just Ain't Gonna Work Out" I immediately thought, "Is that voice coming from THAT GUY?" All songs are sung and produced almost entirely by Hawthorne himself; he has brought soul back, and here to stay it is.
"And I guess I don't love you anymore / And I'm sorry, but it just ain't working out / Just ain't gonna work out."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment