Wednesday, September 30, 2009
So I just finished my intensive Spanish course for the month of September. It consisted of a History and Politics of Spain course, a Spanish Art History Course, and a Spanish Grammar and Composition course. I had all four of these classes four days a week from 9:00 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. The word intensive does suffice. The last two days, I had to turn in two papers (in Spanish) and take three exams (How's that for cultural immersion, eh?). The Art exam I don't think I did so hot. I didn't fail, but I didn't do great. I'm expecting a grade somewhere in the middle. History and Grammar I think I did really well on. All three of these classes count as one Boston College class or 3 credits. It should count toward part of my Hispanic Studies minor but I need to get approval first. Regular university classes begin on Monday (October 5) and I get to attend as many as I want until I know for sure that I am going to take it. It's kind of interesting seeing how laid back the Spanish culture is compared to the scheduled and stressed out life of an American.
Tonight I'm taking a 9 hour bus ride from Madrid to the port of Algeciras from which I will be taking a ferry across the strait of Gibraltar into Morocco, Africa. I am going to Africa. That is probably one of the coolest sentences I have ever written. I am going to Africa. This is going to be the experience of a lifetime. I will be in Morocco for 4 days with an exchange program. I will be living in a Moroccan home stay and follow the program's itinerary to a number of exotic Moroccan locations. Boston College actually helps pay for half of this program so I am getting a great deal on a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I'm diving head first into an extreme culture-shock and I'm ready to take it on.
I will, however, be missing out on the Detroit Tigers final push to make the playoffs, Michigan vs. Michigan State football, and ESPN College Gameday visiting Boston College this weekend, but those things will always be there for me when I return. I'm in Europe now, and I can only live life once. Grab life by the horns.
"Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face, stars fill my dreams / I am a traveler of both time and space, to be where I have been."
Tonight I'm taking a 9 hour bus ride from Madrid to the port of Algeciras from which I will be taking a ferry across the strait of Gibraltar into Morocco, Africa. I am going to Africa. That is probably one of the coolest sentences I have ever written. I am going to Africa. This is going to be the experience of a lifetime. I will be in Morocco for 4 days with an exchange program. I will be living in a Moroccan home stay and follow the program's itinerary to a number of exotic Moroccan locations. Boston College actually helps pay for half of this program so I am getting a great deal on a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I'm diving head first into an extreme culture-shock and I'm ready to take it on.
I will, however, be missing out on the Detroit Tigers final push to make the playoffs, Michigan vs. Michigan State football, and ESPN College Gameday visiting Boston College this weekend, but those things will always be there for me when I return. I'm in Europe now, and I can only live life once. Grab life by the horns.
"Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face, stars fill my dreams / I am a traveler of both time and space, to be where I have been."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment