Sunday, September 20, 2009

So last night was La Noche en Blanco. This is translated literally as "The Night in White." The meaning behind the the title for this event means "to go through the night without sleep." It is an annual event in Madrid where stores and restaurants stay open all night (until 3 a.m.) with special events and spectacles happening in the streets throughout the city. It was an exhausting night, but great fun. It was just surreal seeing how many people there were scattered about the city. There is nothing that I know of in the United States that can compare to the event last night. It was almost as if every square inch of Madrid was covered in people. We started of the night watching a Cirque de Soleil show of acrobatics, music, and interpretive dance. There were so many events happening in the city we didn't know what to do. After this we walked through the streets checking out all spectacles we passed by. There were jazz and hip-hop concerts, people dancing through the streets, a small marching band, and throngs of people just soaking it all in. It was a great night and the city of Madrid really knows how to throw a party.
In other news, I FOUND A JOB! This is a great opportunity for me. I will be teaching English to three Spanish children for 10 euros an hour. I will be working two days a week and for two hours a day. My weekly salary will be 40 euros per week. This is substantial pay and will help me pay for the full European experience I hope to have. This week is also my final week of my intensive Spanish courses. I have two final essays and three written final exams, and the funny thing is, they all count for only 3 credits (1 class) at BC. This Wednesday is also the first day of Ana's (program coordinator) Spanish Art History class. I have a good idea of what regular classes I want to take, and will probably make my final decision later this week.
"Qué bonita fue esa noche / Me trae recuerdos la noche"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment