Wednesday, October 28, 2009
As you all know, music is my life. I love stumbling upon new artists or waiting for a new record from one of my favorite artists to come out. I think a varied spectrum in music can lead to open-mindedness in other areas of life. I have one of the widest musical collections you can find. Every now and then I will review new music I stumble upon, new music that comes out, or just one of my favorite records and try to share with you how I experience music, my passion.

The Colosseum

The first record I'd like to share with ya'll is Sufjuan Stevens' new record The BQE. The BQE is an acronym for the Brooklyn Queens Expressway in New York. Sufjan Stevens is one of the most versatile artists I have ever heard. Born in Detroit and now living in New York as a co-founder of the record label Asthmatic Kitty Records, Sufjan has put out records with electronic music (Enjoy Your Rabbit), mellow acoustic tunes (Seven Swans), a Christmas record (Hark! Songs for Christmas), and a mix of everything (Michigan and Illinois Projects). The BQE is unlike anything he's done before and could be considered more of a soundtrack for the expressway than a record. The BQE is an orchestral suite designed to portray the emotions being emitted from one of the most famous expressways in all of the United States and shows the creative genius of a man lost in the chaotic modern music industry.

The long and creative song titles give evidence to the complexity of his compositions. It begins with a grand and booming orchestral fanfare in "Introductory Fanfare for the Hooper Heroes" and then carries into smooth and gentle melodies. The record moves up and down from loud and triumphant to placid and tranquil. "Movement IV: Traffic Shock" provides a chaotic yet rhythmic electronic piece amidst the classical nature of the rest of the record. "Interlude III: Invisible Accidents" provides a fun and whimsical jazz tune. The record ends with a peaceful starry-eyed tune followed by a triumphant 'Finale.' The BQE by Sufjan Stevens is a uniquely composed and dynamic piece which perfectly exemplifies the cycle of activity on the Brooklyn Queens Expressway. Sufjan Stevens has done just about everything so far in his career, and expect him to continue to provide you with musical surprises.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter

About Me

My Photo
Dan Ruemenapp
View my complete profile

Followers